Knez Mihailova Street or Prince Mihailo Street is the main pedestrian and shopping zone in Belgrade, and is protected by law as one of the oldest and most valuable landmarks of the city. Named after Mihailo Obrenovic III, Prince of Serbia, it features a large number of impressive buildings and mansions built during late 1870s. 1km long Knez Mihailova Street was declared Spatial Cultural-Historical Units of Great Importance in 1979, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia. It is a common meeting point for Belgraders. The street has been named one of the most beautiful pedestrian zones in Eastern Europe and is a constant buzz of people and tourists. The street is home to Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts (SANU), Instituto Cervantes, Goethe-Institut, Centre Culturel Français, as well as many other leading shops and several cafes.
Belgrade Fortress - Kalemegdan
Belgrade Fortress, represent old citadel and Kalemegdan Park on the confluence of the River Sava and Danube. It was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1979. Belgrade Fortress is one of the most beautiful natural lookouts in Belgrade. Fortress is generally divided into four sections: "Lower" and "Upper Town", "Little" and "Large Kalemegdan Park". Here are located Kula Nebojsa (Fearless Tower, turned into a museum of the Greek revolutionary Rigas Feraios), as well as Orthodox churches of Ruzica (former Austrian gun depot) and St Petka, beautiful promenades and the statue of "The Victor", the "Roman well", the Observatory and Planetarium, etc. Northern section of Little Kalemegdan Park is occupied by the Belgrade's ZOO, opened in 1936. In Belgrade Fortress are also located the Military Museum, Museum of forestry and hunting, and the Monument of Gratitude to France.
Ada Ciganlija - "Belgrade's Sea"
Ada Ciganlija colloquially shortened to Ada, is a river island that has artificially been turned into a peninsula, located in the Sava River's course through central Belgrade. The name can also refer to the adjoining artificial Sava Lake and its beach. It is an immensely popular recreational zone, most notable for its beaches and sports facilities, which, during summer seasons, can have over 100,000 visitors daily and up to 300,000 visitors over the weekend. Due to this popularity, Ada Ciganlija has been commonly nicknamed "More Beograda" ("Belgrade's Sea"), which was officially accepted as an advertising slogan in 2008, stylized as More BeogrADA. Apart from the sport facilities, a 7 kilometer-long beach of the Sava Lake has a closely supervised, fenced-off children's swimming area.
Belgrade is one of the spiritual centers of the Balkans. Orthodoxy is the majority religion in the area. The intertwining of the orthodox Christian thought, Byzantine culture and Slavic spirit can be felt in every orthodox temple, among frescoes of rulers and saints depicting the power of faith and the centuries that lie behind us. Catholic temples, the mosque in the city center and the Belgrade synagogue are places of spiritual life and peace. One of most impressive Orthodox Temples, by all means, is the Temple of St. Sava. Construction of temple began in 1935, and was halted due to the outbreak of World War II and the bombing of Belgrade; followed by the time of Tito’s communist Yugoslavia and thus the temple had to wait for better times. Construction was only resumed in 1985 and is still underway.
Shopping in Belgrade
Belgrade offers quality shopping opportunities, similarly to other European capitals. Shopping opportunities are many and varied. Large and luxurious Western-style shopping malls and supermarkets are gaining in Belgrade and Serbia, but there is also traditional way of buying apples from the greengrocer, meat from the butcher, bread from the bakery. Clothing shops are plentiful and well-stocked with latest fashions. If you are a fan of malls Belgrade offers many among which are Rajiceva Shopping Center, Usce, Delta City and Big. If you prefer shopping streets than definitely visit Knez Mihailova Street, Kralja Milana Street and Bulevar Kralja Aleksandra.
Nightlife in Belgrade
Belgrade's nightlife is well and truly awake and in this city you can have a lot of fun. Belgrade
has a reputation for its nightlife, and with good reason. Unlike in other parts of Europe, there is
no day of the week in Belgrade when you cannot have a night out. This is true whatever your age,
whatever your lifestyle and however much you want to spend! Most importantly everybody can find
some fun by their taste, if you like crazy parties or you are a fan of spending a quiet night with
friends, or maybe you wish to spend a romantic evening, Belgrade has a place for you.
"Enjoy the finest nightclubs, bars and restaurants in Europe's new capital of cool." Times Online
WHAT TO SEE
The old, bohemian quarter of Belgrade, Skadarlija, arose during the late 19th and early 20th century when its inns were the gathering place of the best known names in Belgrade. It is frequently compared to the Montmartre of Paris, both in appearance as well as the exuberant and dynamic artistic atmosphere.
Once a separate town, Zemun has been a municipality within the city of Belgrade since 1945. People have settled the area of Zemun as far back as the Neolithic, using the favourable position of the banks of the Danube and the Sava.
The existing square was formed after the demolition of Stambol Gate and the construction of the National Theatre building in 1869.
The best known of the Belgrade squares began taking shape during the early 19th century.
Nikole Pasic Square
It was a barren meadow crossed by the Istanbul Road during the first half of the 19th century.
The square was a marshy pond prior to 1880, where the citizens of Belgrade hunted wild ducks.
Kralja Petra I Square
The Kralja Petra I Street (“King Peter I Street”) is one of the oldest streets in Belgrade.
During Turkish times it was the location of a Turkish Cemetery, remaining in place until the second half of the 19th century.
The oldest of museum institutions in Belgrade was founded in 1844 at the initiative of the Serb writer Jovan Sterija Popovic. The founding of the National Museum coincides with the rise of the civic culture and the establishment of the state institutions of the Principality of Serbia. The National Museum in Belgrade, a complex type museum, is the most significant, oldest and central museum of Serbia containing 34 archaeological, numismatic and historical collections at this moment, after 160 years of growth and development.
Address: Republic Square 1a; Open: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays 10-17h, Thursdays and Saturdays 12-20h, Sundays10-14h, closed for renovation.
Museum of Vuk and Dositej
Founded in 1949, it is located in the building of the former Grand School, opened in 1808 as a lyceum by the great Serb luminary and first Serbian Minister of Education Dositej Obradovic. The museum contains a professional library, with a small reading room and consists of two parts – the ground floor contains an exhibit dedicated to Dositej Obradovic, while the first floor is dedicated to Vuk Stefanovic Karadzic. Address: Gospodar Jevremova 21; Open: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays 10-17h, Thursdays and Saturday 12-20h, Sundays 10-14h, closed on Mondays
Memorial Museum of Ivo Andric
The museum preserves the memory of the Nobel Prize winning author Ivo Andric. Part of the authentic ambient showing the everyday life of the writer is preserved, and various exhibits present the life of Andric, as well as important stages in his creative biography. In addition to representative documents (student’s cards, passports, certificates, diplomas, the Nobel Prize and medal, Vuk’s Awards, honorary doctorates) and photographs, the exhibit also displays original manuscripts of Andric’s work, letters, various editions of books in local and foreign languages, as well as his personal effects. Address: Andricev Venac 8, Open: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays 10-17h, Thursdays 12-20h, Sundays 10-14 h, closed on Mondays
The Military Museum in Belgrade is located within the Belgrade Fortress complex. Founded in 1878, it was first open to the public in 1904. It consists of a diverse collection of weapons and military equipment from various historical epochs, prehistory to modern times, with uniforms, national banners, flags and medals, as well as artistic paintings from the 17th to the 20th century. Among the more interesting items are Turkish lances and the armour of a Turkish vizier from the battle of Kosovo, a collection of old weapons, war banners and uniforms (including the uniform of King Alexander Karageorgevich, assassinated in 1934 in Marseilles), as well as a collection of medals of national heroes from World War II. An additional open-air attraction in the area surrounding the museum (the wall and moat of the Fortress) are the exhibited cannons from the 18th and 19th century, armoured weapons from the two world wars, antiaircraft and ship cannons, partisan boats... Address: Belgrade Fortress bb; Open: 10-17h, closed on Mondays
House of Flowers
The House of Flowers was built in 1975 as a winter garden with work and leisure space for Josip Broz, close to his Residence. In accordance with his wishes, Tito’s body was interred in the central flower garden in 1980. From 1945 to 1987, May 25 was celebrated as the birthday of Josip “Tito” Broz. From 1957, on the initiative of Tito himself, the date was celebrated as Youth Day with a festival in the Yugoslav People’s Army stadium. May 25 became a youth review in which the physical and spiritual achievements of young Yugoslavs were presented at a rally which included the presentation of a baton to Tito as part of the event. On display in the House of Flowers are local batons presented as gifts by members of the Pioneer youth organisation and by various other youth, social and political organisations. There are also federal batons from the period after 1957, when May 25 was celebrated as Youth Day and Tito’s batons were increasingly institutionalised and renamed Youth Batons. The Museum of Yugoslav History comprises 3 buildings (the Museum “May 25th”, the “House of Flowers” and the “Old Museum”). Address: Boticeva 6; Open: During summer period (May 9 to October 15) from 10-20h every day except Mondays; During winter period (October 16 to May 9) from 10-16h every day except Mondays.
Nikola Tesla Museum
The museum preserving the complete heritage of the greatest Serbian scientist and inventor Nikola Tesla is located in the heart of Belgrade, in a beautiful residential villa built in 1929, designed by the notable Serbian architect Dragisa Brasovan. In accordance with Tesla’s last will and testament, his heritage was moved to Belgrade in 1951. The permanent exhibit consists of the original documents, books, magazines, plans and drawings of the greatest Serbian inventor. This is an extremely valuable collection containing over 160,000 original documents, 2,000 books and magazines, 1,200 historical and technical items, 1,500 photographs and glass photoplates, original technical items, instruments and devices, 1,000 plans and drawings. Address: Krunska 51; Open: 10-18h, closed on Mondays
The museum was founded in 1950. The extremely valuable items show the development of the railroads in the country and the world. The collection includes several old locomotives: a locomotive from 1861, the Rama locomotive pulling the parade train for Sarajevo in 1882 and reconstructed to look as an engine from 1877, as well as the Milan locomotive, the first one built in Serbia, in Majdanpek in 1882. Address: Nemanjina 6; Open: 9-15h, Saturdays and Sundays, visits by appointment
Museum of Aviation
The Museum of Aviation was founded in 1957 with the intent of preserving material evidence of importance for the birth and development of aeronautics in this region. The attractive museum building is located on the plateau of the “Nikola Tesla” Airport and contains over 200 aircraft, 130 aircraft engines, several radars and rockets, aeronautical equipment, 20,000 books and over 200,000 photographs in its collections and funds. Address: “Nikola Tesla” airport, Surcin; Open: 09-18:30h (summers), 09-16h (winters), closed on Mondays
In the annex of the Nebojsa Tower the history of the Tower as a military facility that has been, ever since its construction around 1460, a part of the defensive system of the city. The exhibition on the ground floor is devoted to the history of Nebojsa Tower as a prison, while the one on the first floor is dedicated to personality of Rigas Feraios, a great Greek poet and a revolutionary who died in the prison of the Tower. The topic of the exhibition on the second level is the First Serb Upraising and the creation of the modern Serbian state at the beginning of the 19th century. On the topmost level of Nebojsa Tower the history of Belgrade in the first decades of the 19th century is presented, as well as the process of transformation of the Oriental town into a modern European city. Address: Bulevar vojvode Bojovica; Opening hours: from 11-19h (June – September), from 10-18h (October – May)
Although it cannot lay claim to an overlong monarchic past, Belgrade can boast of its palaces.
Contemporary Belgrade contains two court complexes – the city complex, comprised of the Old Palace and the New Palace, and the Dedinje complex encompassing the Royal Palace and the White Palace.
The Old Palace of the Serbian Obrenovic dynasty was built between 1882 and 1884, designed by Aleksandar Bugarski in line with the architecture of academism of the 19th century.
The New Palace was built for the residential needs of the Karageorgevich dynasty during the period between 1911 and 1922.
The Royal Palace in Dedinje was built between 1924 and 1929, on orders by King Alexander I, as the official royal residence.
The building of the White Palace, located within the same complex as the Royal Palace, was constructed as per the wishes
Temple of St. Sava
Preparation for the construction of one of the largest orthodox temples in the world began in 1894. The temple was built on the location where, according to legend and on orders by Sinan-pasha, the remains of the first Serbian archbishop Sava were moved from the Mileseva monastery in 1594, there to be burned.